January 15, 2011

this time with alacrity!

I am making a very deliberate effort to not give in to my tendency toward gloom. I started at least four different posts over the last week or so, and didn't let myself publish any of them, because they were too depressing. Today I deleted every single one.


It's not that I want to deny my sad feelings; it's just that I am so very tired of them. They make me tired. There are enough things to make me tired every day without adding to my own misery by plunging down a well of despair.

I am still grieving. I am still picking up the pieces of a very shattered life. I'm not happy -- but I want to be. For the first time, I really, really want to be. I want to try. My apathy has dissolved, and I want to be happy, and I'm scared to death. Possibility has always frightened me so much more than dead ends ever did.


I want to stop thinking about things that are unchangeably sad, and put it all as far behind me as I possibly can. Not to pretend it didn't happen, but more to hit a pause button of sorts, and focus on something else for awhile. Right now, that feels different from denial; and I fervently hope that it is.

It doesn't mean I won't have hard days. It's just kind of like an experiment, I guess. An experiment in raised expectations.

----------

Can I tell you a secret? I have such high hopes for this year. By the end of it, I want to look in the mirror and at photographs and see the version of my "grown up" self that I envisioned when I was 19 years old. I want to see a smile that is completely genuine, and an expression that is wide open to the world. I want to wake up in the morning and be excited; excited that I'm here, that it's another brand new day. I want to be the life of the party, the star instead of the sidekick. I want to "go confidently in the direction of my dreams." I want there to be room in me for other peoples' successes, and their failures as well. I want there to be room for boldness and spontaneity and rebellion and grace. I want to not be so fragile and afraid.

(All images via weheartit.com)


I want to learn to be who I am, and not who I think I'm expected to be. And I never want to go back.

4 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!!! DO IT!!!! WOO HOOOOOO!!! :)

    loves. angie et al

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you an award - check out my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it. You can do anything you set your mind too. You just have to really want it is all...and it sounds like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to watching it all happen. I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete