December 22, 2009

a heart, a home

When I told you the single most loving thing you could do for me, you laughed.

It was like I had handed you the key to my heart, and you looked at it -- such a little thing! -- and scoffed, and tossed it into the bushes.

But you still wanted in.

So you broke windows, and kicked at the door till it splintered, and then in a temper threw mud at the walls to make them look dirty and ruined, just as you'd done all along. (You could have walked right in, if you'd only kept the key.) But it's too late; now you've lit a match, and set the whole place ablaze.

When the fire burns out, I'll sift the ashes for the last hot coal, crushed into diamond, clear and beautiful. I'll grow a new heart from that. But this time, I won't tell you where it is.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Vera Kate--is there anyway I can use this post and reference you... and post it on my blog? It sums up everything I have felt recently with my family. If not, I may with your permission at least copy it into my journal. Thank you for sharing this so much. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can repost; just remember to include my name and a link back to my blog. Thanks for asking, Ang! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. will do. again, a genuine thank you for sharing your journey with others. I responded to your most recent comment on my blog. Take care and have an authentic Christmas. ang

    ReplyDelete