July 8, 2010

sensitive

I had a hard time at work, last night. When an older co-worker came up to me and said, "No, Vera, no! Not like that!" and shook out a towel I had just folded and sternly showed me how to do it properly, I almost burst into tears. I barely held it together until my break.

I usually feel ridiculous when something like this happens. So I am holding on to something my counselor told me: There's no such thing as overly-sensitive. I am sensitive to the degree that I have been wounded. When I am triggered, and it makes me cry, it's because the equivilent would be if I was bleeding and someone came up and stuck their fingers into the cut. If they were just looking at it, that would be different; but they stuck their fingers in it, and it really hurts, whether they meant it to or not. So I am not childish, stupid, or bad if I cry.

--------------------------------

Trying not to be a perfectionist isn't going so well. Insidious messages keep creeping up on me. (Childish, stupid, bad... those really took me by surprise.) I can visualize being strong, not letting little things bother me, but then something as simple as not folding a towel right happens, and I feel so discouraged.

1 comment:

  1. Aw. I am so sorry that happened, VK. That would make me want to cry too. I like what your therapist had to say...true, no such thing as being over-sensitive--I've just never thought of it that way. Keep working on all this, it will get easier.

    us

    ReplyDelete