June 15, 2010

escaping the bad thing

She noticed that she was about to lose her balance again, forced herself to stay erect. And suddenly it semed to her that this was just a repetition of something, that she had undergone this before; she thought about what she had done as a child, when she had wanted to escape the bad thing, then she had just closed her eyes and said kare kare kare, ma ma ma, without a sound; she had floated away and let everything happen to her, and she had survived, because she had a golden place far behind her eyelids that no one knew about, behind kare kare kare, ma ma ma, where she was alone and nothing could reach her.

Erik Fosnes Hansen, Tales of Protection


3 comments:

  1. DAMN. This is brilliant! I will have to borrow yet another quote from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? This book is really good, I think it will probably make the top three of all the books I've read so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I need to write this down. Along with a few others on your list that you have quoted over the past six months...that i said, "I WILL READ THAT!"...and haven't yet. Thanks so much for sharing. You have great taste!

    ReplyDelete