October 22, 2009

fairy tale endings

I have been reading alot of fairy tales lately. I appreciate that when the hero finally gets to the happy ending, the Bad Guys are summarily dispatched, and without a hint of pity -- because they are the bad guys. (It only makes sense: Bad. Guys. Hello? What possible reason would there be to keep hanging out with the bad guys? Why on earth would we let them live in our house, or sit at our table, or come to our parties?)

I like that the wicked stepmother and stepsisters aren't invited to Cinderella's wedding, that victories and celebrations can't be tainted by antagonists because they are just completely out of the picture now, goodbye. Real life should be like that too, I think. But so few people are strong enough to say: "No! That was not okay and you will NEVER treat me that way again -- you won't have the chance."

I always thought I had to have the people who had hurt me the most around forever, that any happy event would have to be shared with them, even though I knew deep down that they would overshadow it, and suck some of the happiness away. I felt like I owed everyone I ever came in contact with a piece of myself, for some reason. So to realize -- rather suddenly, at 25 years old -- that I have a choice, that I don't have to share myself with anyone I don't want to share myself with... well, that is huge. That is having my life handed to me.

2 comments:

  1. I found this blog by chance. Through a person who found mine by chance. Through another person i've gotten to know quite well over the past two years, though i met her at a week-long concert event in a crowd. Anyway. your heart makes mine beat with a kindred spirit. Thank you for your candid approach to life with intense transparency. ang (angddbrown@blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i guess I did comment before. and I see it's my old blog link. I needed to make it a little safer for me by getting it out of the hands of a few people. I left the link on my other comment. anyway. i am the same ang.

    ReplyDelete