May 10, 2011

she'll know

A miscarriage is a natural and common event. All told, probably more women have lost a child from this world than haven't. Most don't mention it, and they go on from day to day as if it hadn't happened, so people imagine a woman in this situation never really knew or loved what she had.

But ask her sometime: how old would your child be now? And she'll know.


Barbara Kingsolver

Lissie Doll, you should be nearly 3 1/2 years old... but instead you are nearly -4.
I really hate math. And I really miss you.


5 comments:

  1. That's so true, and I'm sorry Lissie isn't here with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aiden should have been one yesterday. I thought I was okay but fell apart last night. Thank you for the quote - it was very timely and I absolutely love Barbara Kingsolver. Where did that quote come from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 16 yrs,12 yrs,6 yrs,6 yrs,9mths
    i think this quote speaks to the heart of being a mother. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @biojen: it's from her book Animal Dreams.

    ReplyDelete