July 11, 2009

I will buy you rubber boots



I will buy you rubber boots,
and I will let you wear them whenever you want to,
even when it isn't raining outside.

I will hold your hand when we cross the street,
and I will jump with you from one wide white line to the next,
even though it takes longer that way, and there are cars waiting.

I will teach you how to bake,
and I will let you lick the spoon every time
even though I worry that the raw egg might make you sick.

I will build a life for you --
And I will teach you, even when I'm tired.
And I will play with you, even when I'm sad.
And I will provide for you, even when I feel like I can't.

I will buy you rubber boots, my love,
and I will let you wear them whenever you want to.



photo by Charity Grace, typography and text by me

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I come back to read it every once in a while. I love it just because, but it's also such a great reminder to let my boys do all the silly things they love to do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete